WE ARE FRIENDS OF THE BIG SIOUX RIVER
Friends of the Big Sioux River is on a mission to change the way we all think about our relationship with our river. We want to bring awareness to the plight of this cultural, economic, and environmental backbone of Eastern South Dakota. We’re here to inspire action among all who influence the quality of water within the watershed. This is about unifying South Dakota residents and leaders from all walks of life. Improving water quality is about finding solutions in a positive, collaborative way. It’s about taking responsibility together for a clean, healthy and safe river we can all enjoy and share with pride.
To reduce urban and rural pollution of the Big Sioux River
- - Swim in the Big Sioux by 2025
- - Unite South Dakotans under the common goal of safe, healthy water
- - Educate the public about sources of river pollutants and their effect on the river
- - Promote landscape practices designed to protect and restore a clean river for all users of the watershed
- - Protect wildlife habitat
- - Collaborate with legislators and businesses to influence stewardship of our resources
- - Recognize community members and stakeholders who invest in a clean river
Friends of the Big Sioux River strives to combat non-point source pollution. FBSR’s strategy to achieve this goal is through the encouragement of the following practices:
- - Reducing urban runoff through better landscaping practices and
- - Urging Low Impact Development practices for residences and
- - Implementing riparian strips along waterways
- - Keeping cattle and livestock waste out of waterways.